Clothes Recycle Drive - Save Our Santa

 "Let it Go!” Santa’s message to us

Let go unwanted clothes! Donate!
Let go excessive buying! Rethink!
Let go dumping textile waste! Recycle!
Let circular economy recovers textile waste! Re-born! 

370 tons dumped in HK landfill!
200+ years will not disappear!
42 million tons GHG emission!

The Earth is slowly dying
And, my dear, we're still crazily shopping
But as long as you love me so
Let it go, let it go, let it go
(Adapted from "Let It Snow!” by Sammy Cahn, Jule Styne, 1945)

Join hands with Friends of the Earth (HK) to combat climate change by cutting textile waste GHG emission, to save the ARCTIC CIRCLE, to SAVE OUR SANTA! 

Call for participation - public and corporate sectors

Campaign date: 1 to 31 Dec, 2019
Target: collect 70 tonnes of unwanted clothes (1/5 of daily textile wastes)
Corporate You may donate your unsold items, samples and items with defects to Friends of the Earth (HK). Please call 31841507 for further inquiry

Public – Please donate your unwanted clothes to Friends of the Earth (HK) collection boxes and/or to Champion Hong Kong Stores.

Friends of the Earth (HK) will:
• Give the donated clothes to the needy
• Upcycle the donated clothes to new textile

*We do not accept underwear and socks*

Let’s save our Santa and his friends by donating your unwanted clothes this Christmas! 

Globally, 80% of discarded clothing are doomed for the landfill or incineration, leaving only 20% which are actually reused or recycled. In fact, up to 90% of them can be recycled!

Do you know that 370 tonnes of textile wastes (equals to the weight of 2.6M tees) are being put to the landfill in Hong Kong every day? 
The fashion industry is the one of the top 10 polluters in the world which causes a disastrous impact on the environment. According to the Pulse of Fashion report in 2015 the fashion industry was responsible for 1,715 million tonnes of CO2emissions which consumes more energy than the aviation and shipping industry combined. The fashion industry produces 8% of greenhouse gas (3,990 million metric tons CO2eq) according to a research conducted by Quantis in 2018.

In Hong Kong, over 5.8 million clothes are being thrown away every year. Most of these textile wastes are sent to landfills or incinerators, which takes more than 200 years to biodegrade. During the slow degradation, these textile waste release a huge amount of greenhouse gas, including methane and CO2 that accelerate global warming. 

The disproportionate impact of climate change in the Arctic, where temperatures are currently rising at double the rate of the global average and begin to disrupt the unspoiled environment, the future prosperity of the Artic Circle’s inhabitants – from the wildlife to Santa Claus – is at risk.

Global warming not only melts away Santa’s home but also puts reindeer’s life in danger. Warmer winters turn snow into rain which freezes reindeer’s food into a piece of ice then it is harder for them to get food from it, reindeer are starving to death.

Fast fashion concept causes irresponsible consumption behaviour that fills our landfill with tons of fashion waste! We’re buying more clothes than ever, but do we really need them?
Landfill-clogging fast fashion and ocean-polluting microplastics are all tied to an industry that’s expected to triple in size by 2050.

Christmas is about to come, people often overspend on fashion before festivals. We need your immediate action to tackle the environmental impact of fashion.

About Friends of the Earth (Hong Kong) Used Clothes Recycling Programme


Related Project

Interested Topic:
Climate Change
Green Economy

Back To Top